Entry tags:
[Snowflake] Challenge #2 talk about your fannish history
Like most children I was a natural born fan. I have very vivid memories of playing Spiderman and other super hero games in my primary school play ground and I'd pretty much play out or riff-off and reinvent any story media I consumed with others or alone. If swords were involved so much the better. My greatest disappointment in life is never achieving my dream of becoming either a pirate, or a musketeer.
After middle school, I very much noticed that the vast majority of my peers were beginning to put away this kind of play. No one I knew, except my younger relations, really wanted to engage with the things we watched or read in the same ways or to the same extent any more. I felt like my ability to express myself and connect with other people was being impossibly restricted. So, a few years later when I was just first investigating the internet, I was ecstatic to discovered this little thing called fan fiction and oh so many discussion forums.
That was over twenty years ago and since then my involvement in the various nooks and boudoirs of online fandom has waxed and waned, but has never been anything less than a vital tether for my own mental well being.

Snowflake Challenge ❄ 2020
Bwahaha!
This is what I don't understand about people who say they aren't fannish. Isn't everyone fannish about something? We may disagree about what's worthy of our time and interest, but I don't understand anyone who has shut down all imagination.
Re: Snowflake Challenge ❄ 2020
I think a lot of the time people deny any fannishness because they equate it with being frivolous and childish. Which is sad, because frivolity and childish delight are awesome.
frivolity
Indeed!